City of Brenham collection carts are here
City of Brenham residents get ready! Your garbage and recycling carts have arrived. Cart deliveries for customers will begin on April 13th, but collection will not begin until the week of May 4th. Beginning May 4th, BIG (Brannon Industrial Group) will provide your sanitation services. Residents are asked to continue using bag service until May 1st.
You will receive two carts, one for once-per-week curbside garbage pickup and one for bi-weekly curbside recycling pickup. It should be noted that garbage collection days will not be the same as recycling collection days. An information flyer will come with the carts customers receive and will provide all the details they need to know.
The Brenham City Council in March approved agreements with BIG to take over commercial and residential waste collection and recycling services. The council will not take up action on the transferring of operations at the collection/transfer station until later this month.
Sanitation and recycling rates for non-senior residential customers will be $15 per month and $12 per month for seniors. Seniors are currently considered those over 55 years old, but City Manager James Fisher previously said the council will be presented an ordinance to potentially raise the senior-disabled person pricing exemption to 65 years old. That change, if approved, would become effective October 1st. Residents will continue to receive one bill from the City of Brenham.
Customers with additional questions can call the City of Brenham at 979-337-7440. Further information is available below.
WHO to Contact with Questions or Concerns:
Residential – 979.337.7440
Collection/Transfer/Brush – 979.337.7455
WHAT to do for garbage, brush, and recycling:
– Garbage should be bagged, tied, and securely stored in your cart with the lid closed. If the lid is open, the collection truck will not be able to empty it
– Items too large to fit in your container should be taken to the transfer station – 2009 Old Chappell Hill Rd
– DO NOT pile bags or trash on top of or around your container. It will not be collected
– Please also make sure that your container is not blocked by any vehicles on pick up day
Items not collected:
- Dirt, sod, concrete or rock, tires, oil filters, and CFC containing appliances
- Flammable materials such as oil, gas or paint
- Contractor generated debris from construction, remodeling or demolition
- Hazardous waste, liquids or any other material prohibited from the landfill or Transfer Station
– Brush must be cut into 4-ft length or shorter and put in a separate pile. Please call to schedule collection for a Wednesday yard waste pickup for a nominal fee. (979) 337-7455
Recyclables to be collected
– Metal Cans – Rinsed steel, tin and aluminum vegetable, fruit and beverage cans
– Paper Products – Newspapers, magazines, junk mail, brown paper bags, phone books, non-confidential office paper, mixed/white paper, and flattened cardboard
– Plastic #1 & #2 – All colors of plastic will be accepted. Please check the bottom of the containers for #1 or #2 to confirm its acceptance. Do not include bags, wrapping, or packaging
– Glass Bottles and Jars – Rinsed clear and brown glass bottles and jars will be accepted for recycling. Do not include lids
WHEN to place and remove your cart
– Place your cart at the curb in front of your residence by 8 AM on your designated collection day. Collection times vary day by day so it must be out by 8 AM on collection day
– Carts must be removed from the curb following collection
WHERE to Place Carts
Along the front curb or the edge of a flat surface driveway, at least 3-ft from other carts, mailboxes, vehicles, trees, telephone poles, water or gas meters, etc. Carts may be placed at the edge of the grass, abutting the curb if unable to be placed on a flat surface on the roadway. The arrows on top of the cart should face the street and the wheels should face your house.
Where NOT to place your containers
– On a sidewalk or IN the street
– Over sprinkler heads, water or gas meters, or cable/electrical boxes
– Under low-hanging tree limbs or cable/electrical wires
HOW much does it cost
Sanitation and Recycling Rates $15.00/mo. (Non-seniors)
Wednesday Yard Brush Pick-up Rates $15.00/per occurrence
All rates will be billed by the City of Brenham on your utility bill
Cart Assistance Program, Recycling Opt-Out and Reduced Garbage Container Size Forms
– All forms can be found on the City of Brenham website under Sanitation and Recycling (Forms)
– Forms can be emailed to email@example.com or dropped off at Utility Billing at City Hall
– If the recycling opt-out option is chosen you may have your cart picked up by BVR Waste and Recycling personnel, but the full monthly fee will still apply.
The reduced garbage container fee will be the same as the standard 96-gallon container fee.